In recent years Yoga has seen a big rise in popularity. If the fashion trend of yoga pants were an accurate indicator, you could assume that half the world is into yoga. It isn’t quite as popular as that yet, however. It is estimated that about 10% of Americans are practicing yoga with some regularity. It may be that many of these people have jumped onto this trend to appear current, but this health trend is no gimmick. Yoga is an incredibly beneficial and multifaceted approach to life and overall health. While the benefits of yoga are now being discovered by westerners, but it has been known in some cultures for ages.
- Yoga Has Stood the Test of Time: The first mention of yoga in writing is in the Bhagavad Gita, circa 500 BC. But there is evidence of yoga being practiced 5000 years ago. Yoga is associated with Eastern religions, and perhaps because of this the west was slow to embrace the lifestyle and study its benefits. But that is all changing now, as there is quite a lot of evidence in favour of the practice. Yoga is now mainstream. It can be practiced online at sites like The House of Yoga and Yoga studios have popped up all over.
- Yoga Can Help Slow the Effects of Aging: As we age, we tend to become less active. Perhaps it is because we have learned to work smarter, not harder. But inactivity is not good for our bodies. Yoga is a low impact way to increase muscle usage and flexibility and involves the whole body. This brings vitality to the body and strengthens muscles and bones. Yoga can help you fight osteoporosis, arthritis, and other diseases related to aging and inactivity. There is also a detoxifying effect from waking up your sedentary body tissue. Yoga will also help you increase your metabolism and fight diabetes.
- Relieves Depression: Yoga is now being recommended by some therapists as a treatment for depression. Perhaps it is the meditative aspects, or maybe the return to healthy activity, but many people suffering from depression show marked improvement after committing to a yoga routine.
- Relieves Back Pain: Almost everyone has some form of back pain, at least occasionally. Back pain can come from many places, but yoga usually helps relieve normal back pain. Yoga uses such a comprehensive range of motion, and the stretching of areas that do not see much action on a normal basis. This is a healthy way to normalize your back muscles.
- Builds the Perfect Physique: We all want to look good, and Yoga is one way to get that sculptured athletic physique without becoming too muscular. Of course, an overall healthy diet and lifestyle will increase your results.
Yoga is not a fad, it has proven itself, and now it is being discovered by the western world as a holistic approach to wellbeing and fitness. Yoga is something that you can do at your own level, and you can take the training as far as you would like to go. If you want to start feeling like you are ten years younger, you should try yoga today.