For recent college grads, getting enough exercise while you were at school must have been tough. Most of time you were either huddled in front of a computer writing a paper or buried in a book studying for an exam or mid-term. Everyone knows the term “freshman 15″ where students gain an extra 15 pounds during their first year of college. Yes, going to college can be a sedentary lifestyle indeed. Now that you are out of school, there are multitudes of ways to stay healthy and active, even after a four-year respite. Don’t think it’s possible? Well, it certainly is – sometimes getting physical exercise as a recent college student is all about fitting it in to your schedule – even if you are spending all your days looking for a job with your new degree. Here the top 5 fitness tips for new college grads.
- As a recent college grad, jogging is a great way to stay healthy and fit. The best part about jogging is that you can fit it in your schedule in a number of different ways. Don’t have time during the day? Why not do a light sprint to the car, run in place while you are waiting for a traffic light, or jog to your next job interview or back.
- Another great way for recent college grads to fit exercise into their busy routines, is to do push ups. Push-ups are great, because you don’t have to do a lot of them, just as long as you do them intermittently and for short periods during the day. Looking for jobs online? Why not take a break each time you send a batch of resumes by doing a few push ups. Push ups can really be done at any time of the day.
- Recent college grads can also find a great fitness regimen in doing at least a half hour of yoga every morning. Yoga will keep you lean and strong in body, and mind. Start off with some breathing exercises to greet the day and them move into some poses. There is nothing that will allow you to take on a day full of job interviews more than a full morning practicing yoga.
- Like yoga, Pilates is a great way for men and women to stay fit, healthy and active. Many places have daily, weekly, or even monthly Pilates courses. Pilates is a great exercise, because it strengthens your core. This will give you not only more strength, but also the confidence that every recent college grad needs to be a success in this rapidly changing world.
- Lastly, for a recent college grad looking for an advanced degree, like nurse practitioner programs online or other specialize fields, getting an exercise ball to sit on is a great way to stay fit while staying stationary. Bouncing, stretching, bending on an exercise ball is a great, convenient way to get much needed physical exercise. Sometimes exercising is all about staying in one place!