This exercise is done by moving the dumbbells with individual curls. The upright body position is also important like in the barbell biceps curls. You can also try this exercise sitting down. Here’s how to do it properly:
– Grab a 5 kg/11lb dumbbell in each hand with a hand position like holding a shopping bag.
– Move the dumbbells individually towards the chest like you are drawing a half-circle in the air. While curling, twist the dumbbells so that when they reach the top, they are in a horizontal position facing you.
– Keep a steady upright body position with slightly bended knees to avoid swinging and back pain.
– Make 3 sets of 20, 16 and 12 repetitions (that’s 10, 8 and 6 on each hand).
– Increase between sets with 2, 5 kg or 3 kg dumbbell
After you feel the need to start with a heavier dumbbell, let’s say 8 kg (17lb), make the second set 11 kg (24lb) and the third set 14 kg (30lb). Make another increase as you progress further.
Many people prefer to do this exercise in front of the mirror. As much as it is motivational, it is also distracting. Looking at your biceps while exercising them can pump up additional power because you see great results in motion. That can also be distracting as you are not concentrated on proper movement, but on how the biceps look. Try to make a biceps workout with closed eyes; it will eliminate one sense for a moment, and increase concentration on proper arm movements and an upright body with no swings while curling.