Since Pull-Ups can be quite hard, consider this exercise as your assistant in conquering pull-ups. This is a great exercise to start the back workout. There are two versions: Front Pulldown and Behind Neck Pulldown. Here’s how it’s done:
– Sit on the Lat Machine with knees supported so you won’t lift yourself off the seat when pulling down.
– Grab the bar wide with an overhand grip, wider from shoulder width.
– With a straight back, pull the bar towards your chest and stop a little lower below the chin.
– Return to initial position with straight arms and start the other repletion.
– Do 3 sets of 12, 10 and 8 repetitions. A normal level of difficulty to start is half your weight. Increase the level after each set with 10 kg (22lb).
The body needs to lean back a little bit for the pull to be successful, but not too much; it’s heavy on the lower back. Keep a straight back with chest forward during the set. Exhale as you pulldown, inhale when returning to initial position.
For Behind Neck Pulldown, instead of a front pulldown towards the chest, pull backwards behind the neck and lean forward a bit.